quarta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2011

Unbleached coffee filter instead of decanting to filter out the sediment


Copiada da WS online
Dear Dr. Vinny,

I have heard that you can use an unbleached coffee filter instead of
decanting to filter out the sediment. Any thoughts? Obviously you would only
do this at home without guests.

-Mark G., Midland Park, N.J.

Dear Mark,

I open plenty of bottles of wine, and a good share of them are older wines
with sediment. I never worry about the sediment-a steady hand and a clean
decanter are all I need to separate the wine I'm serving from the gunk at
the bottom. If possible, I set my bottles upright for a day or so before
serving to make sure that most of the sediment settles to the bottom, but
even in a pinch, I just don't sweat the sediment, and at most, maybe 2 or 3
ounces of sediment-heavy wine are left over in the bottom of the bottle.

Some of my friends, especially those who collect Port, are much more worried
about sediment. Let's be clear-the stuff that makes up sediment (dead yeast
cells, bits of grapes, phenolic molecules) is harmless and not contaminants.
But some folks just don't like the way sediment can muddy a wine with an
unpleasant grittiness. I get that.

My friends who go to more extremes to remove sediment will employ, yes,
unbleached coffee filters, or several layers of cheesecloth. Some of the
sediment may still pass through this extra filtering, but my friends feel
that they're saving another ounce or two of drinkable wine.

-Dr. Vinny

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...